This is a FAVOURITE in our house. The kids literally request it once a week, and luckily it is one of the few recipes I actually feel confident cooking. It’s approved for the 21 Day Fix and Portion Fix container programs, and it comes from the FIXATE cookbook. It’s a winner!
- 4 oz. dry whole wheat elbow macaroni (or other pasta)
- 4 tsp. organic grass-fed butter (or organic coconut oil, although I find this leaves an aftertaste)
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond or cashew milk (in a pinch you can also use cow milk, but it will up your fat and calorie counts)
- 1¼ cups freshly grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 6 cups chopped broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. (Do not use salt or oil if suggested in directions.) Set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until brown (don’t let it burn).
- Slowly whisk in almond milk; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens and there are no lumps.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until melted.
- Add macaroni, chicken, broccoli, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until heated through.
- Serve immediately.
Tips and Variations:
- Use quinoa pasta and gluten-free flour if you’re following a gluten-free lifestyle.
- Asparagus, green beans or Brussels sprouts can be substituted for broccoli.
- A combination of cheeses like cheddar and Gouda, cheddar and Monterey Jack, and cheddar and Asiago can be substituted for sharp cheddar.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 68 mg
Sodium: 491 mg
Carbohydrates: 15 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 0 g
Protein: 26 g
Portion Fix Containers