I don’t love cooking. The thought of it stresses me out. I like planning meals in so much as I like choosing what we’re going to EAT, but I don’t like thinking about how much of what we’ll need and how far in advance we’ll need it. And if I have to cook for ANYONE else, the anxiety quadruples.
But much like how I don’t love running, I always feel a sense of accomplishment once I’ve done it. Especially if it’s edible. So I do it, occasionally. But I ALWAYS use very simple, easy to follow recipes. My go to sources are www.skinnytaste.com and the FIXATE cookbook.
This is my absolute favourite recipe from FIXATE. And as with every recipe in the book, it’s 21 Day Fix-approved. That’s the meal plan I am following right now, so having all the container counts right there is very handy. Another bonus? My kids love this recipe.
One note: As I don’t love cooking, I cheat wherever possible. For the chicken in this recipe, you can go for it and pre-bake your own chicken breasts, you can buy and skin a rotisserie chicken, or you can go my “phone it in” method of buying the pre-cooked, pre-sliced chicken breast pieces at the grocery store. Yes, I do have to slice them a bit more so there’s a LITTLE work involved, but no baking, no skinning. The rest of the recipe is just mixing and chopping and that I can handle.
CREAMY CHICKEN SALAD
Serves 4 people, 1 1/4 cups each. Prep time is 15 min, max.
- 3 cups chopped chicken breast (boneless / skinless)
- 1/2 cup chopped green apple
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup Honey Mustard Dressing (see below)
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Combine chicken, apple, grapes, almonds, green onions, tarragon, and Honey Mustard Salad Dressing (see below) in a large bowl. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. (Or eat it immediately like I did, it’s still awesome.)
- Serve 1 1/4 cups of the chicken salad mix over 2 cups of romaine lettuce per serving. Another option is to wrap it in a whole wheat tortilla, but then your container counts below would be off. If you happen to have an extra yellow to spare, it’s delicious.
Honey Mustard Dressing:
- 1/2 cup reduced fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp raw honey
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste (optional)
Directions: Combine yogurt, mustard, honey, and vinegar in a bowl and mix well. Slowly add the oil, whisking constantly until well blended.
If you’re following Portion Fix or 21 Day Fix, the container count is 2 green, 1 red, 1/2 purple, 1/2 blue and 1/2 orange.