As I’ve said before, I don’t cook. I mean, I DO, but I don’t enjoy it. I get serious anxiety. But it’s a fact of life and although Mr Awesome loves cooking and does most of it in our home, occasionally the task falls to me and I have to suck it up. Recipes I make MUST be simple, easy to follow and end up tasting like I know what I’m doing.
This recipe is my favourite. It’s super easy, I’ve now probably made it 50 times and apart from one awful situation where I misjudged my slow cooker’s “warm” setting’s ability to just keep it warm and not blacken it to a crisp, it’s been amazing every time. My whole family loves it.
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) stewed tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 2 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) chili beans in sauce, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream (optional, but it’s SO much better with a tbsp on top)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional, I’m not a fan)
- shredded cheddar (optional)
- avocado (optional)
- Spray 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Mix all ingredients except sour cream and cilantro in cooker.
- Cover and cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours or High for 4 – my slow cooker works better on the shorter, high setting.
- Once done, stir mixture to break up chicken. You may need to lift the big chinks out and do it in a separate bowl then put it back in.
- Top each serving with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
- We usually add a bit of shredded cheddar and sliced avocado on top. It’s amazing.
Sometimes I switch out one of the chili beans cans to a can of red kidney beans. Also awesome. And the fact that I even feel brave enough to attempt a substitution speaks to how easy and foolproof this recipe is.